Friday, December 20, 2013

Red and White with Kanoko Dots

tiara, maybe?
So I started a new piece, solid white with red printed on white kanoko dots, with red highlights. 

Kanoko means fawn, or deer. It is usually a shibori dye pattern used to represent the marking of a baby Japanese deer, or fawn.

I'm not sure yet where I am going with this piece, or how elaborate it's going to get.  I really just wanted to experiment with this new print, and work on some new uses for these large pearl stamens on the bottom petals and in the center. 

While I was digging up the trivia behind Kanoko dots, I came across this website that is a very comprehensive English guide to choosing and wearing a Japanese kimono.  It covers tying obi, seasonal appreciation, and formal and informal arrangements. 
http://asanoha-kimono.com/0000-start.html

No comments:

Post a Comment